There are some policies that are written in the office books and then there are some unwritten rules: Always allow people to first exit the elevator before you get on it, eat with your mouth close etc that we all expect everyone to know but surprisingly enough less than half the working people follow. Here are some of the Common office ethics that are not common anymore
Disturbing your co-workers
Ahh, the colleagues who are everywhere all the time, to gossip, and talk to you, to disturb you, tell you give you advice.There is no escape for them and they do not care about the "do not disturb" sign. What they do not see is that rather than co-workers liking them for their outgoing personalities, they consider them the disturbing elements in the office. Here a few points to consider if you don't want to be called as someone disturbing others
- Ask if it's a good time
- Try to keep the gossip to minimum
- Pay attention to the do not disturb sign or close door
- Don't spend more than 5-10 mins chatting about non-work/office stuff
Bring food that smells after heating
Certain foods must be eaten in the confines of a home or restaurant. No matter how delicious tasting your lunch may be, its powerful stink is not something your fellow officemates should endure. Of course, there are circumstances that cannot be avoided: Your curry comes with onions etc but otherwise avoid the smelly food. It's not worth it. Here a few foods you should avoided to eat at office
- Reheated fish(any fish)
- Hot dogs
- Raw onions
- Certain fast food
Listen to Music in the office
Music is like coffee for a lot of us who use it to block of other noises and focus on our work.
According to digital music service Spotify, 61% of people stream music during the workday with 36% saying they use music to get them through the day. But there are a few business etiquette that you must follow when listening to music
- Don't wear headphones 24/7 for you will you'll "isolate yourself."
- Never wear your earphones away from your desk
- Don't hum along or tap your foot or
- Always turn the volume to low if you work in an open space without walls.
- And finally, don't make your music a higher priority than your colleagues. If someone come to your desk, remove your earphones — both of them
Theirs's a very good chance we have dealt with a noisy neighbor, especially if we have worked in an open office or cube farm. "Loud and talkative coworkers can be one of the most annoying distractions on earth — and, unfortunately, they're pretty common in today's workplace." Address the issue with the person. And if you are not comfortable doing it, bring it to the management to address it to the office in general. Here are a few rules we all must abide by
- Keep your the volume on the phone to a low.
- Don't use vulgar or curse words in the office
- Avoid personal call if you can
- Keep the calls to a short length
Food in the refrigerator
Have you ever notice your frozen meal or a can of coke gone missing or on your co-worker's desk. We all are adults and are expected to show some decency around the office refrigerator: If you didn't put the food in the refrigerator, then don't eat it. No matter how old it is or if it's forgotten, it's not your call to decide and eat it. And take your leftovers home or throw them out before they morph into some active fungus. Here are some points to remember regarding the food in the refrigerator
- Don't eat anyone else's food
- Take home your leftovers
- Don't leave the food for too long
- The refrigerator is for the whole office, so try not to store your month of lunch supply in there
This may surprise a lot of people but personal hygiene that is considered very common is not common at all. Bad breath or body odor is more common than uncommon. Now with the options available, it's easy to control it. Here are few ways you can take care of it.
- Keep mint for your bad breath and make sure to eat it after meals
- Keep a deodorant or body spray in the office and use it, especially if you walk/bike to the office in summer
- Keep sanitizer at your desk if you eat a lot of snacks
This may seem a like a lot, and to some, it may seem like an uptight way to live. But just remember the basic success at the workplace is to respect others and be considerate about them.